Facebook Ireland Limited has changed its name to Meta Platforms Ireland Limited. We’ve updated our Terms of Service, Data Policy, and Cookies Policy to reflect the new name on January 4, 2022. While our company name has changed, we are continuing to offer the same products, including the Facebook app from Meta. Our Data Policy and Terms of Service remain in effect, and this name change does not affect how we use or share data. Learn more about Meta and our vision for the metaverse.
Cookies & other storage technologiesCookies are small pieces of text used to store information on web browsers. Cookies are used to store and receive identifiers and other information on computers, phones and other devices. Other technologies, including data that we store on your web browser or device, identifiers associated with your device and other software, are used for similar purposes. In this policy, we refer to all of these technologies as “cookies”.
For example: We store information in a cookie that is placed on your browser or device so that you will see the site in your preferred language.
For example: Cookies help us route traffic between servers and understand how quickly Meta Products load for different people. Cookies also help us record the ratio and dimensions of your screen and windows and know whether you’ve enabled high-contrast mode, so that we can render our sites and apps correctly. For example, we set the "dpr" and "wd" cookies, each with a lifespan of 7 days, for purposes including to deliver an optimal experience for your device’s screen.
For example: Cookies can help us understand how people use the Facebook service, analyse which parts of our Products people find most useful and engaging, and identify features that could be improved.
Third-party websites and appsOur business partners may also choose to share information with Meta from cookies set in their own websites' domains, whether or not you have a Facebook account or are logged in. Specifically, cookies named _fbc or _fbp may be set on the domain of the business partner whose site you're visiting. Unlike cookies that are set on Meta's own domains, these cookies aren’t accessible by Meta when you're on a site other than the one on which they were set, including when you are on one of our domains. They serve the same purposes as cookies set in Meta's own domain, which are to personalise content (including ads), measure ads, produce analytics and provide a safer experience, as set out in this Cookies Policy.
- The Meta Products;
- Products provided by other members of the Meta Companies; and
If you have a Facebook account:
- You can use your ad preferences to learn why you’re seeing a particular ad and control how we use information that we collect to show you ads.
- To show you better ads, we use data that advertisers and other partners provide us about your activity off Meta Company Products, including websites and apps. You can control whether we use this data to show you ads in your ad settings.
- The Meta Audience Network is a way for advertisers to show you ads in apps and websites off the Meta Company Products. One of the ways that Audience Network shows relevant ads is by using your ad preferences to determine which ads you may be interested in seeing. You can control this in your ad settings.
- You can review your Off-Facebook activity, which is a summary of activity that businesses and organisations share with us about your interactions with them, such as visiting their apps or websites. They use our business tools, such as Meta Pixel, to share this information with us. This helps us do things like give you a more personalised experience on Meta Products. Learn more about off-Facebook activity, how we use it and how you can manage it.
Everyone:You can opt out of seeing online interest-based ads from Meta and other participating companies through the Digital Advertising Alliance in the US, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada in Canada or the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance in Europe or through your mobile device settings, where available, using Android, iOS 13 or an earlier version of iOS. Please note that ad blockers and tools that restrict our cookie use may interfere with these controls.
Browser cookie controls:In addition, your browser or device may offer settings that allow you to choose whether browser cookies are set and to delete them. These controls vary by browser, and manufacturers may change both the settings they make available and how they work at any time. As of 23 June 2021, you may find additional information about the controls offered by popular browsers at the links below. Certain parts of the Meta Products may not work properly if you have disabled browser cookie use. Please be aware that these controls are distinct from the controls that we offer you.
Date of last revision: 4 January 2022